Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Busy (Betsy) Bee

My first day:

After spending an embarrassing amount of time trying on nearly everything in my closet, I finally settled on a gray pencil skirt, sky blue blouse and the devil's flats (see picture below).

I hopped on the metro and noticed an open seat next to a friendly-looking young woman.

"Do you mind if I sit by you?" ...no response. I mustn't have spoken loudly enough.

"Hey, do you mind if I sit by you?" ...still. Nothing. Not even a twitch in my direction. Maybe she was wearing headphones! ...nope. No headphones.

I asked two more times before realizing I would not be getting a response. Sat down anyway. No words were exchanged for the duration of the 20-minute metro ride.


After meeting one of my mentors (mentor #2 is in Tampa for the Republican National Convention), he took me out to lunch, briefly explained what I would be doing and then showed me around some of the more prominent DC buildings. We ended up walking. A lot.

Mind you, I'm not upset by this. It's my poor feet who are protesting the effort (only 3 out of 4 blisters pictured).

Sorry, feet haters.

I saw the White House in person for the first time. Its presence wasn't nearly as threatening or intimidating as I had always imagined it would be. Cool, regardless.

The Capitol building was our next stop. It was BEAUTIFUL. Seriously. I can hardly imagine how wonderful the museums around here are going to be. Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek. Here's a picture I took of the inside of the dome:

If you can't tell, that's George Washington. Becoming a god. It's called The Apotheosis of Washington, if you're intrigued. Be intrigued.

Inside the building, each state (with the exception of Georgia) has two sculptures of predominant figures. Can you guess which famous figures (hint: both dead) represent the great state of Utah? (Hint two: one is pictured below.)

Yep, you guessed it. Brigham Young (first governor of the Utah territory and Mormon prophet) and Philo Farnsworth (only the inventor of one of your favorite creations).

Don't worry. I didn't know either.


After a full day of sightseeing, I hopped on the metro and headed "home" (I hate using that word so liberally) to my lonely, smelly apartment. See previous post. As I was leaving the metro station, I noticed that despite two open exit lanes, one was entirely empty while the other was entirely full.

With a bit of arrogance, I rushed up to the empty lane, metro card in hand -- only to discover that at its end, a man was having (what I assumed to be) a heart attack, surrounded by shouting local metro employees I failed to hear over the general hum of people.

Oh. My.

I've never seen anything like it. I joined the growing crowd and stopped to stare. One part of me wanted to take a picture, but that notion was short-lived before the sensible, sensitive part of me slapped its counterpart on the hand.

I scurried off as soon as I heard someone shout that he had a pulse. I didn't want to know more.


Hours later, I made a trip to the nearby CVS for some household basics: a dish sponge that didn't reek of yuck, dish soap and an air freshener for the sake of feigning apartment sanitation. While at the self-check out machine, I noticed a man a few machines over struggling to make his work.

Beep! Beep! Beep! It went off countless times before a CVS employee went over to explain to the man that it was alerting him that his change was waiting in the change slot. The man, who spoke very little english, became immediately aggressive. He puffed up his chest, started speaking in a tongue that neither I or the employee could understand, and indicated that he'd happily engage in a tussle.

The employee repeatedly assured the man that he was simply trying to help. The customer, after realizing he would be outnumbered, ran over, grabbed his change and groceries, and booked it out of the store.

What was THAT?!?!?!

There must be something in the water here.

No comments: